Sunday 25 November 2012

Today's YouTube playlist: Geeking out on education and stuff

Despite my having an essay to write and two assessments to study for, I decided it would be best for me to try and catch up on what I've been missing on YouTube. To my delight, some of my favourite YouTubers in terms of thoughts and discussion on changing the world had uploaded some new videos that I found relevant to me.

I also discovered today (as my brother scoffed at me for being so slow to figure out) that you can pair your phone with your computer so that you can control the YouTube videos you play on your computer screen with your phone. Your phone becomes your remote control for your computer :O

For some CGP Grey, Crash Course, and owlssayhooot, read on.




CGP Grey


I love CGP Grey for so many reasons. Other than being ridiculously informative about stuff that may not actually be pressing topics on my mind, it's still pretty relevant things that you can carry discussions about. Also, while discussing things like the future of education, he himself is an example of what the future in education may be, among other content creators of the internet as he discusses in his video.
All of his videos are recommended.

Crash Course - John Green


John Green is just one half of the vlogbrothers; together with his brother Hank they make up some of the biggest and most forward moving forces on using YouTube to actually develop the existing systems and communities. One of such systems is the education system. Crash Course is yet another one of their channels where they focus on biology/science (Hank) and the humanities (John). This specific video was particularly of interest to me because the question of why do we even bother analyzing English literature was something I struggled with last year as an English major. I have since switched my program to linguistics but I remain in the program by doing a minor in English, and it's more so to fulfill requirements rather than out of love.
Their videos are very educational, but also quite specific.

owlssayhooot - Kayley Hyde


It's weird to type out her name because to me she's always just been the fake red head studying in England that makes great vlogs. Missing math isn't exactly what I side with her on, but I totally understand what she's talking about. As liberal arts students the answers that we're searching for a lot of the time don't come from numbers or applied formulas; they are maybe found in long-driven tangent-filled discussions that involve ethics, perspectives, and passion that can really exhaust a person. I don't exactly miss mathematics, but logic and proofs are what I think gives the same effect for me as what math seems to do for her. There are answers and they can be found on your own, without having to listen to someone else's arguments, without having to be considerate of other people's backgrounds or comfort bubbles.
She does great personal vlogging.

No comments:

Post a Comment