Thursday 17 January 2013

IS EVERYBODY THINKING THE SAME THING?

From about a month ago I had been thinking about reading.
A couple of days ago I read a blog post by content creator/curator/designer Courtney Mallam about reading.
Then I saw a video by YouTuber Kristina Horner about reading.

The similarity was not just "reading". We were all thinking about how much less we read now compared to our bookwormy days when we preferred to be with books over people. It's not just the books that have disappeared from our lives, it's also the act of reading.

Why? Do you really have to ask? I blame Twitter. Tumblr. Pinterest. YOUTUBE. I browse blogs but I literally only browse. If I saw a post as long as this one I wouldn't be able to read it. It all just zaps our attention span to that of a child. No, less than that of a child. My 8 year old brother is better at reading than I am now.

Upon these kinds of reflections during my winter break I have become determined to read 50 books in the 52 weeks of the 2013 year. However, because I am a student lacking time I allowed myself to count all of the books I would be reading for my English Literature course. And yet still, the only book I have managed to complete is my brother's Diary of a Wimpy Kid. I know, shame on me. A kid's book is all I can do?? I KNOW, I'm not trying hard enough.

The best way (says the Internet) to bring back the reading habit is to read for just 15 minutes before bed. This is already a challenge, considering how I've developed this habit over the last couple of months of staying up until I almost pass out at my desk, then crawl off the bed sometimes without having washed my face. It really is pathetic. Really.

I'm trying different things to try to get reading back into my life. I'm getting books in ebook form because there's something about the time spent on my commutes on public transit that makes reading look so appealing. I'm trying to be more conscious of time and manage it better so that I can go to bed with room for a 15-minute read. I'm reminding myself that this feeling of inferiority around people that can so eloquently analyze and articulate their critiques of social issues and media can be fought with becoming a more learned person through reading.

50 in 52. Here we go.

2 comments:

  1. I'll have you know, I pretty much didn't read your post.
    Also I wanna get ebook reader..but then I feel like getting a tablet is more worthwhile..choicces

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aha wellllll I don't own an ebook reader - I just put them on my phone and turn down the brightness. It works for me :)
      GET THE TABLET!

      Delete